Re: ARCH=arm or CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux- or both ?

On 5/2/07, Ramagudi Naziir <naziirr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,,

I read in Karim Yaghmour's book that to cross compile the kernel and
other packages I need these two arguments.

But when I see other kernel cross compiling guide they only say to
use the ARCH=arm.

so.. do I need both of them ? or just the ARCH one ?

You need to provide the ARCH and CROSS_COMPILE variables in order to compile for your desired cross platform. If you miss either of the argument then the Makefile defaults to what ever given inside it as defaults.

For .e.g if your processor is ARM and you have the tool chain starting with arm-linux- like arm-linux-gcc, arm-linux-ld etc then you need to provide like

$make zImage ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-

for arm-elf-gcc you need to give

$make zImage ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-elf-

A lot of Thanks
naziir