Re: make all{yes,mod}config expectations

Hi John...
I have tried to boot an allyesconfig, and to no shock, failed, though it built fine. Hardware is a pain. Just thought it was worth one try.

Well, since you provide no further log messages or such, it's hard to say the reason why it failed. I suggest to do "make defconfig" and "make allyesconfig", then compare both .config files. By using grep and diff, I think slowly you can find out which config item that doesn't work for your hardware specification..
However, is allmodconfig expected to boot normally (assuming proper creation of initrd)? I.e., if it doesn't, it's "Bad Thing" and not "Don't Do That"...?
Sometimes yes sometimes no. I think the problem lies not on which one created as module or native kernel part, but which one is enabled and which one is not. Just for example, IIRC there is old IDE emulation that is needed so that the Linux kernel is bootable inside Qemu but it's no longer enabled by "make defconfig". There could be more issues like this, but this is the only one I know.

regards,

Mulyadi