Re: ioctl timeouts

On 4/16/07, Russell <russell.sloan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

I am using ioctl() to send a vendor unique command to a disk drive via the libata driver stack.  The command is a security erase command and it takes several minutes for the command to complete.  During this time, my driver is timing out.

Now, I don't really have a problem with the driver timing out.   What I'm wondering is whether there's a way to make the ioctl() timeout faster so that my program can continue execution.  I see that in the sg_io_hdr_t struct passed to ioctl() there is a timeout value specified in ms.  I've entered values between 5 and 500 but it is taking 90-100 seconds for the command to return and for my program to continue.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to make this ioctl() timeout faster and return to executing my program?

Thanks!
-Russell Sloan

I would ask that directly on the "Linux-ide"
<linux-ide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> mailing list.

FYI: I doubt you would use an ioctl on newer kernels, so you might
want to start by asking if there is a better way to do it, etc.

Specifically, the libata team is trying to get standard support in the
kernel for bios password management etc. that is needed when you put a
laptop into powersave mode, etc.  Seems like that same infrastructure
you will need for a secure erase.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer