2 small git questions

Hi,

I have 2 small git questions:

1. I have cloned a linux git tree. I have created a branch and working on it.
   Now a new linux version is released, i.e. rc7.
  I want to do git pull. but I am in a branch now.

 should I change to the master branch before I pull ?

 If I do git pull, is it pulling only to the current branch or to all
branches ?

2. I have downloaded a cvs snapshot of a big project from the web, using
  cvs client.
  now i used "git init-db" on the project, and again made myself a
working branch.
  now the same scenario as before - i want to update the whole tree again,
  from the cvs server.
  how do I do it ? in the branch ? go back to master ?

Thank You PPL !
naziir