Effect of the 'noapic' flag

Hello,
       The question is not related to kernel programming as such, but
certainly to kernel internals.
       I've have a buggy BIOS for an Intel Pentium D machine.The
machine does not boot into a SMP kernel successfully without the
'noapic' flag.The error message shown is : 'MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer
not connected to IO-APIC'
      The system works fine with 'noapic'. My question is - does
using the 'noapic' flag cause any side effects making the kernel
unstable/slow or lead to any locking issues ? Do i have to test it for
any special cases to make sure it works well ? The machine has a
single PCI card (with its driver) and has 1GB of RAM. The machine is
not heavily loaded (CPU load as well as interrupts) and I'm fine with
the interrupts going only to the boot CPU.
In general, how does the its code path change when a kernel is passed
the 'noapic' option ?

TIA.

Best regards,
Pranav