Re: Reducing memory used by build

Hi..

'allyesconfig' seems to be great for testing, but all I have is half a gig
of memory. Everything is fine until it starts with LD .tmp_vmlinux* when
it has to start thrashing to complete, which makes it rather slow. Is
there any particular way to get the linker to somehow segment its
operations to not need to swap, or do I just have to put up with it or get
more memory?

I never use "allyesconfig", so I can only imagine it's kinda more
memory consuming than defconfig. In this case, the best you can do is
probably by killing unneeded task to free up more RAM (or do it in
runlevel 1). Also, if you really see heavy swapping, perhaps you can
setup swap areas on different physical disk... so the load can be
spread.

As the last resort, buying more RAM will always be helpful. That's all
I can share.

regards,

Mulyadi