ISRs in shared IRQ

Hi All,

Plese help me in understanding the below text

Regardless of the kind of circuit that caused the interrupt, all I/O interrupt handlers perform the same four basic actions:
  1. Save the IRQ value and the register's contents on the Kernel Mode stack.

  2. Send an acknowledgment to the PIC that is servicing the IRQ line, thus allowing it to issue further interrupts.

  3. "Execute the interrupt service routines (ISRs) associated with all the devices that share the IRQ."

  4. Terminate by jumping to the ret_from_intr( ) address.

What does the point 3 mean ?

The kernel can recognise which isr to run based on the device id .Does the kernel run all the ISRs associated with the shared IRQs and based on the device id run only the one matching it . Can any one explain this in more detail ?

Thanks,
Sikandar.