Re: Why is Linux not RTOS?

The vanilla Linux kernel can and is already being used in RT environments.
A dual processor box when configured properly can provide a very
deterministic env for a properly written RT application. The trick is to
realize that the 'box' must be dedicated to that application and that application
alone.

With Ingos work in progress at http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt/
that is becoming of less importance however.

Mark

Vanilla Linux kernel never has deterministic behaviour, with RT
patches we get a soft RT behaviour, but never hard RT. We haven't got
deterministic behaviour because of ISRs preempt user land task always.
As a matter of fact if we have got a only task in the system, when the
system has heavy load in network nic (for instance) we will get no
deterministic results. It's very important the difference betwen soft
and hard real time.

Javi Roman