Realtek 8139cp and 8139too module - not working thru DHCP

Hey,
  I am not sure if this is a kernel problem or a distro problem, so please bear with me.

I have a Realtek 8139 100Mbps NIC thats behind NAT and gets its ip through a DHCP server.
I am on Slackware 11. During bootup the kernel recognises the NIC correctly (with its correct MAC)
but "dhcpcd" is unable to determine the ip address of the machine. Someone told me this might be
solved by giving "noirqdebug" as a parameter but that didn't work either.

During boot-up I dont get any interrupt regarding the NIC.

I have tried with 2.6.17.3,2.6.18 and 2.6.19.2. (with the generic config included with Slackware).

Is this a problem with the kernel or the distro? Any ideas on how I could solve this?
If you are sure this is a distro problem, then please tell me the same.

If I am asking this in the wrong place, then tell me that too.

Thanks
Duryodhan

P.S : Everything works fine on the WindowsXP that I have on dual boot.