Re: Maximum amount of dynamic memory allocattion

I think the question is about memory allocated using malloc i.e. user
space allocation. I dont think this is applicable for memory allocated
in kernel space.

Regards,
Sandeep.

On 1/30/07, Rajat Jain <rajat.noida.india@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have a machine with 1 GB RAM and 1 GB swap area and it is a 32-bit
> machine.
> For fun, I tried to allocate memory dynamically by using malloc in a loop
> till there is
> no memory avilable. I ended up allocating 2 GB memory. My inference is,
> total memory
> allocated can be equal to size of RAM + size of SWAP at max.

Huh? I thought the kmalloc()ed memory is never swapped out .. hence
the maximum memory that can be allocated is limited by the size of
RAM. Is there some thing terribly wrong with my understanding? Can
kmalloc()ed memory be swapped out?

Regards,
Sandeep.