Re: call_usermodehelper() kernel panic!

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007, Eviltime wrote:

> Really thanks for the answers.. I'm trying to call it into a nf_hook_ops
> registered function .. there's another way to execute a local file when
> a specified packet it's received?

This would very probably impose a significant overhead and will open easy
way to DoS the box. Executing binaries is too expensive to be done for
every received network packet.

Either do this completely in userspace (see libpcap library, which will
pass all the incoming packets into your application), or if you really
want to do it in kernelspace, then you could consider using workqueues
(schedule work on workqueue in interrupt context, the work will be
executed later as a bottom half, in process context).

--
Jiri Kosina