Writing a driver for a parallel port device

I have a device that hooks up to the parallel port, and I would like to write
a Linux driver for it.

I'm really not sure if it should even be a kernel driver, perhaps a userspace
program could do the trick. I've researched a bit, and it seems like it could
be done all in userspace, but a kernel driver and a userspace program combo
seems the best way to do it.
I've never done any kernel programming before, but I'm pretty proficient in C.
I'd really like to start learning some kernel hacking, and this seems like a
good project to learn.

A little about the device: It is a CopyNES
(http://www.tripoint.org/kevtris/Projects/copynes/) system, which is a
modified Nintendo Entertainment System with an add-on board a DB-25 plug. It
basically allows you to send commands and 6502 (the NES's CPU) code. It's
great for debugging homebrew code, dumping carts, etc.

Thanks a lot,
Mike W. Harris