Re: Access User address from kernel thread

Erik Mouw <mouw@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
A: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post
Q: Were do I find info about this thing called top-posting?
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

A: No.
Q: Should I leave quotations after my reply?

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 09:55:35AM -0800, Karthik.G. wrote:
> The goal is to have a faster access to an user address from the
> kernel space directly.Something faster than a system call.If i can
> access the user address from the kernel , it can be faster .

No, that's not the goal, you are still describing the step.

What are you trying to achieve that you need to play with some random
userspace memory? Why can't you just let userspace mmap() your piece of
kernel memory through a device node?

Oh, and do NOT top post.

Erik

--
They're all fools. Don't worry. Darwin may be slow, but he'll
eventually get them. -- Matthew Lammers in alt.sysadmin.recovery

**
The goal is to pass the system call parameters in the a predefined location in the user process .The kernel thread will have to  read and execute the particular system call . This will be faster than the  normal system call mechanism but the trouble is  Im not able to access the user process page directly by resetting mm or active_mm . The kernel mmap() implementation already exists but there were not much benefits.

Get your own web address.