Re: IPI - inter-processor interrupts

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 rohit  hooda wrote :
>  Hi All,
>
>Can someone point me to some links for some good and exhaustive theory on IPI (inter-processor interrupts)and their implementation in the linux kernel.
>
>PS: info on IPI for kernel 2.4 will be preferred, as i am using linux 2.4.22 kernel for my project.

I have a multiprocessor system with KDB and LKCD enabled.
When the machine panics, I sometimes find that even though I have dropped into KDB,
I can see a lot of messages on the console.
This could be because one processor in KDB and the other still running and spams the console making it impossible to use KDB to debug the crash.

I need more info about IPI so as to know more about the smp_send_stop() function. Can it happen that the IPI's generated by the smp_send_stop call did not make it to the second processor and due to this the second processor is still running?