Re: Introduction and my first question

Hi Badai...
The point that I wanted to do is this:

  - printk() calls should include appropriate KERN_* constant (of course
only at beginning of lines). Also consider using dev_printk() and friends.

Ehm, I have different opinion. Sometimes log level isn't explicitly set so it uses whatever default log level is currently set. Only in specific place, printk() is programmed to explicitly use certain log level. You're free to change it, but you need to convince the kernel maintainer that is better for certain reasons.
The problem with doing that is that when I did:

  $  grep -rn 'printk([^K]' . >/home/cheepy/linux/printk-todo
  $  wc -l /home/cheepy/linux/printk-todo
  29881 printk-todo

How am I supposed to change all of those 29881 printk's? Can I just write a
script to search and replace them all?

Like you see, it's all over the place :)

My basic question is how are choices like this gets decided?
usually via discussions in Linux kernel mailing list (shortened as LKML), there is no fixed rule here, so you may try your luck by offering your patch to LKML and see what other people think about it.

regards,

Mulyadi