Re: Fwd: sk buffer to user space

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 11:51:13AM +0530, vimal.raj wrote:
> 	I'm a newbie to linux kernel.
>  I need to take the sk buffer and directly pass to the
> application which is in the user space.
>
>  How can i do it (my project want to read data packets from driver and give
>  it to application without the help of socket mechanism.)

"I want to get this 1 ton package on the first floor without using a
crane. How can I do it?"

Why don't you use a socket and libpcap like tcpdump and
ethereal/wireshark do? Why wouldn't that work for you? ("Because I'm
special" is the wrong answer here.)

> I saw that there
>  is a system call  skb_copy_datagram_iovec() which can be used to send skb to
>  userspace. Can i use it? Can anyone please help me by giving a procedure to
>  implement this...

skb_copy_datagram_iovec() is not a syscall, it's an exported function,
but that doesn't mean it's a syscall.

Erik

--
They're all fools. Don't worry. Darwin may be slow, but he'll
eventually get them. -- Matthew Lammers in alt.sysadmin.recovery