loops_per_jiffy: query

hi all,

Can anyone please tell me the usage of  'loops_per_jiffy'. Where it is used?, how value of this variable affects the CPU usage and performance of a application.

I am using a ARM11 (400 MHz, 32k I cache, 8 K D cache) with 2.6.11 kernel. caliberate_delay() function calculates loops_per_jiffy = 1331200, which turns out to be 266.8 BogoMips.  Now i bridge TCP traffic from a wireless interface to ethernet, and i get throughput about 45Mbps at cpu usage of 95%.

Whereas when i use same wireless and ethernet driver on a Xscale processor (400MHz, 32k I cache, 32K D cache, 399.6 BogoMips) using 2.6.13 kernel, i get throughput of 92Mbps at CPU usage of 25%.

I tried to tweek the value of loops_per_jiffy manually (just for testing, i have no intensions of replacing calibration function :)) on my ARM11. For example setting loops_per_jiffiy value such tthat i get 140 BogoMips, the throughput incereased considerably to 66Mbps, but CPU usage remained around 85%. And using diffrent hard coded values of loops_per_jiffy i got diffrenent Throughput values and CPU usages.

please tell me the reason for variation of throughput with diffrenet values loops_per_jiffy. Also if possible tell me what should be ideal value of loops_per_jiffy for the ARM11 with details i mentioned above.

Also note that my ARM11 platform has 64M of SDRAM , and Xscale platform has 32k SDRAM.

Thanks
pankaj