Re: Unable to load Kernel on FC4/FC6

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 15:54 +0530, hemen.kapadia@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I faced a similar problem and was able to sort it out by changing the
> root= kernel option to point to /dev/hda1 (where I mount root).
>
> I follow the steps below after compilation of my vanilla kernel
>
> As root :
> make modules_install

> mkinitrd -v -f /boot/intird-<version>.img <version>
> cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinux-<version>
> cp System.map /boot/System.map-<version>
> cp .config /bonfig-<version>  //This is just for my reference.

these steps are done by make install, and then you really don't need to
"fix" the root label (because if you do you'll get trouble later)

> I need some insight on
>
> 1. What additional steps will be performed by make install as compared
> to what I follow.

it adds both the kernel and the initrd to grub. It's quite possible you
forgot to add the initrd.

> 2. What is the pitfall in my method.

if devices change name (and they will if you use the new ata layer)
you're stuck. It looks like FC7 will use the new ata layer, and that may
give lots of upgrade trouble if you're not using labels..

--
if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at) linux.intel.com
Test the interaction between Linux and your BIOS via http://www.linuxfirmwarekit.org