Advise for moving a patch to new kernel version needed

Hi,

I kind of inherited some kernel code that I need to take care of now.
The code has been developed on Linux 2.6.9 and I would like to move it
to a current kernel version. The code itself is not meant for
production or merge and is quite intrusive (it's a scheduler).  What
makes the whole thing even worse is that it was developed on the RHEL
4 kernel. I came up with the following ideas:

1) Diff RHEL 4 vs modified, try to apply patch and clean up conflicts
pro: should not pick up any RHEL patches
contra: there will probably many conflicts, as the scheduler has
apparently change a lot

2) Diff RHEL 4 vs modified, try to clean up patch manually and remove
any section that is likely to cause trouble (= scheduler hooks) and
re-implement those by hand
pro: less conflicts (hopefully)
contra: more manual work, and I don't have the experience to
anticipate likely conflicts

3) create many diffs off directories and/or files and try to apply
those smaller patches
pro: easier to keep an overview
contra: more work, doesn't really change anything about conflicts

So, basically my question are:

What is the smartest way to update an old patch set to work with a
current kernel version?

Is it even possible to use old patches for the current scheduler or
has it changed too much?

For the future, should I track every release or is it sufficient to
track every other or even only once every 6 months?

As this code is not meant to ever be used in production the occasional
bug is not a problem, as long as the number stays reasonably low to be
handled by one part-time developer (aka me ;).

Thanks for any advice!

- Bjoern