Re: maintaining drivers and GPL

On 15/12/06, Clay Renko <renkoc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi ppl,

I'm working on a linux driver for a hardware company.
I want eventually to submit the driver to LKML so it will
get accepted to the main tree, but I have a dilemma
about it.
Let's say my driver is accepted to the main tree kernel.
Now If some future API change will break the driver's code, who will update
the code ?

That is usually considered the responsability of whomever changes the API.

How is it done these days in the kernel world ? if an API change is breaking
current drivers code who maintain the broken drivers ?

If you make an API change that breaks things you must also fix up the breakage.

and what if the
original author cannot be contacted ? do kernel developers update the
necessasy changes or just remove the driver from the tree ?

If a maintainer disappears often someone else will step up to maintain
the code. Even if noone takes over maintaining it it will usually only
be removed when it has bitrotted enough to no longer be functional -
working drivers, even without maintainers, are usually not removed.

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx>
Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html