Re: Network IP problem.....

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006, Moon EC wrote:

I have two Linux machines with same IP.I had been already connected with one active system from a remote system. Then I will make that system inactive and the other system active(same IP). At this time, I'm not able to connect from the remote system, since the MAC and IP mismatches in it's(remote s/m) ARP table for a short duration(approx 5 minutes). How can we solve this problem from the Linux machine.

Not really a kernel issue this, but you can selectively clean entries from the ARP cache by using the 'arp -d' command. But I don't think you can do anything on the Linux machine to clear the arp caches of the machines that are communicating with it. One solution if you never intend to have both up and running at the same time is to have the same MAC address for both. That might confuse any switches in the network though when you change machines since MAC addresses aren't expected to move.

/Ricard