Re: user space drivers

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 10:11:31AM +0530, Nilanjan Roychowdhury wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am thinking of rewriting few traditional Linux drivers  as user space
> drivers. The idea is to mmap the hardware register region and then   use
> them. Other than interrupt dispatching, can anyone tell me what all
> other issues I may encounter.  The intention to do that is to avoid any
> system call overhead and overhead with copy_to_user/ copy_from_user. I
> am using an embedded board with no swapping. Any insights will be highly
> appreciated.

I have just the patches you need in the current -mm tree.  They are also
on kernel.org, in my directory, and will be announced tomorrow as there
are a few minor bugs being cleaned up.  You can find them at:
	http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/gregkh-2.6/patches/driver/uio.patch
	  - for the core patch to the kernel
	http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/gregkh-2.6/patches/driver/uio-documentation.patch
	  - for documentation on how to use it
	http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/gregkh-2.6/patches/driver/uio-dummy.patch
	http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/gregkh-2.6/patches/driver/uio-irq.patch
	  - for two example kernel modules and userspace test tools
	    showing how to use the interface properly.

Please let me know if this will do what you need, and if you have any
questions about it, please let me know.

thanks,

greg k-h