Re: [Ilugc] Nor Flash maintaince in Linux 2.6

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 05:46:48PM +0530, Srinivas G. wrote:
> Dear Experts,
>

> I am going to port Linux (2.6 kernel) on my ARM development board. And I
> wanted use NOR flash memory in my development board.
>
> Before porting Linux, I wanted to know whether any tool available on
> Linux for compacting and maintaining optimal life of my NOR flash?

Hey,
	I don't get your question.

	You are asking about flash file systems and stuff.. or how to do it?

	It is taken care of automagically by file systems like JFFS2 or YFFS.

	google for them.

	Most estimates on life getting over and all that are bogus.

	If you use the right file system it will last long enough.

	At least considering the failure rates of hard disk these days, I think it is  mostly a non issue.

	Another thing. Please don't run swap on NOR flash.

	Use ramdisk...

	Best,
	Girish