Re: Time source problem...

Hi Fernando...

> Since a time ago, I have this warnings in my computer:
> "Your time source seems to be instable or some driver is hogging
> interupts"
>
> The driver it warns is the ipw2200. I'm using kernel 2.6.9-42.0.3.EL.
> I suspect that this is not serious but sometimes when I'm working in
> console mode, it's annoying to have this messages.

Instable? Hmmm, are you using Intel mobile processor or PowerNow-based
AMD processors? Those are the processors I am aware which cause
variable ticks in TSC... (when changing its C state a.k.a power
consumption state).

About the possibility that something is hogging ints, my best suspect
is: something is disabling local (or global?) interrupts too long, thus
leads to missing timer ticks or other interrupt source. Since the
messages didn't say any detailed info, I think you can start by
unloading several kernel modules and see if it make things better.

To get rid the message? How about changing the console log level so that
even the most critical kernel messages won't get displayed? :)

regards,

Mulyadi.