Re: changing the llc module

On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 15:18 -0800, Sudharsan Rangarajan wrote:
> Yes i know that..My question is what exactly shud i do to get the module in
>
> Thanks,
> Sudharsan
>
> On 11/17/06, Avishay Traeger <atraeger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 15:11 -0800, Sudharsan Rangarajan wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > Im modifying the LLC(logical link control )module. I did a lsmod and
> > > did not find the module loaded(for that matter i dint see the tcp
> > > module ) either. I used the makefile thats in the LLC dir of the
> > > source tree , it produces a .o file and that is not taken in by
> > > insmod. I am obviously doing something terribly wrong. Can someone
> > > give me pointers on how i can get this modified version of LLC in the
> > > kernel?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Sudharsan
> >
> > If you're working with 2.6, you want the .ko file, not the .o file.
> >
> > Avishay Traeger
> > http://www.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu/~avishay/

Please don't top-post:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html

You need to describe your problem better.  You said that your Makefile
produced a .o file.  Did it fail to produce the .ko file?  Or did insmod
fail?

You probably can't run 'make' inside the LLC directory.  I think you
will have to either:
1) run 'make modules' in the root of the source, or
2) copy the directory to somewhere outside the source tree, modify the
Makefile, and run 'make' as usual.  You can read about kernel module
Makefiles here:
http://tldp.org/LDP/lkmpg/2.6/html/x181.html#AEN189