mmap synchronization question

Hello,
Ive a user app and a device driver sharing memory via mmap. This block
of memory contains info for a memory allocator. This is used by the
user app to get memory or to decide to do another mmap. Now the kernel
can basically return memory to the freelist, but doesnt want to be
competing with the user app and corrupt the freelist. I obv dont want
to make the kernel wait for the userapp(although i can guarantee that
no deadlocks will ever occur). I would like to  signal the process ,
the address within its  process space that can be added to the
freelist. Im a bit lost on the way to do this..Any pointers?

Thanks,
Sudharsan