Re: what mean ablout barrier()?

On 11/14/06, Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
James Stevenson wrote:
> I may be wrong here. But its some sort of memory barrier to get
> everything from cpu registers back into memory.

Not everything.

Only the data that has been written to memory by instructions
that came before the current instruction, eg. MOVs and other
instructions with a memory target operand.

are memory barriers used on the x86 since it is strictly ordered? or
is it just that read memory barriers are not required, but write
barriers are?

--
Who do you trust?
The people with all the right answers?

There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way.