about usb

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding the usb drivers on the linux-2.6 kernel.

First of all, in order for a usb device to work, we need a host controller. Linux has 3 host controller drivers (ohci, uhci, ehci). Does it use only one of them or all three depending the speed of the data transfer?

Second, can the host controller talk directly to a usb device (eg flash memory) or it has to cooperate with an appropriate driver (eg mass-storage driver)?

The point of all these is the following. In order to port linux's usb support for, let's say, mass storage devices to another system, what are the least needed parts for usb to work? Do i need to just implement a host controller (eg ehci)? Or do i need to port usb core + usb host + storage code from linux source?

Sorry for the "bulk transfered" questions. ;)

Thanks,
Constantine