Re: usb serial driver query

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 08:08:47PM +0530, pradeep singh wrote:
> On 10/16/06, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 07:51:59PM +0530, pradeep singh wrote:
> >> Hi all
> >>
> >> I want to write a driver for a usb-serial device.
> >> I was going through src/drivers/usb/serial and found that most of the
> >> serial drivers call the generic probe for usb serial driver i.e
> >> usb_serial_probe( ) .
> >
> >Yes, that is required for a usb-serial driver.
> >
> >> Will my probe be called if i write one forgetting usb-serial driver's
> >> exported usb_serial_probe()?
> >>
> >> Or is it a compulsion to use usb_serial_probe()?
> >
> >It is required if you wish to use the usb-serial core to support your
> >device.  Is there some reason you would not want to use it?
> Not not specific reasons Greg, but i just wanted to know out of
> curiosity. Can I write my own?

If you want to make things harder for you and your users, sure, you can.
But your driver will not be accepted into the main kernel source tree
unless you have a very good reason why it can not use that core.

Also, you will have to get a new major number assigned, which is pretty
foolish as you should be using the usb-serial major number instead.

good luck,

greg k-h