init stuck when console is redirected to the serial port

Hi,

I have a custom linux distribution running 2.6.15 #1 SMP i686 kernel. About 3 out of 5 times the system seems to get stuck when starting up the init process and this happens when I have my console redirected to a serial port. However the system boots up and does keep booting if I press a key (and keep it pressed) on the terminal server attached to the serial port. If I do not press a key the system just remains where it is until the next time I press a key. This only happens after the init process is started (or when the control is handed off from the initramfs)

I use a custom initramfs which uses busybox binaries to do all the work. I have attached my configs below. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Siddharth

grub.conf:
title Linux
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 console=ttyS0 ramdisk_size=10240
        initrd /initrd.gz

My init (linuxrc) script from the initramfs looks like this:

PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:.
export PATH
mount /proc
[ -d /sys ] || mkdir /sys