Re: Need to allocate memory always in interrupt handler which MUST succeed.

On 10/12/06, Parav Pandit <paravpandit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I need to allocate some 256 bytes of memory in the interrupt handler each
time when I get the interrupt. Size varies from 8 bytes to 256 bytes.
There are various options such as
(a)    kmalloc(GFP_ATOMIC),
GFP_ATOMIC .... may sleep. try other flags available to kmalloc in
interrupt context.
please CMIIW.

Good luck
pradeep
(b)   kmem_cache_alloc
(c)    mempool_alloc
My driver need to support, at max 4096 * 256 = 1MByte buffer. I don't need
DMA support.

How can I use above APIs so that I always get the memory in the interrupt
handler?
I don't want to implement my own memory manager where I pre-allocate 1Mbytes
+ few pointers to always avail memory in the interrupt handler.

What mechanism is used in the sk_buff allocation from the interrupt handler?
Is there any background kernel thread which takes care to always provide
memory in the interrupt handler for above 3 APIs and for sk_buff?

Regards,
Parav Pandit

countries) for 2¢/min or less.

--