Re: Why do we need /dev

> int register_chrdev_region(dev_t from, unsigned count, const char *name)
>
> I really don't want to see a 'dev_t' up there (though I know that it
> can be ignored). Those numbers should be dealt within the kernel. Why
> would anyone wanna set those numbers manually?

you mean to say when creating a new device in /dev from user land?

No. That is now handled by udev and sysfs.

What I was saying about was that the driver writer need not know how
the kernel handles devices internally(using major and minor numbers).
The concept of major and minor numbers does not seem to cook well now
a days. Does it?

Jinesh.