Re: proposed outline for kernelHacking wiki page

hi all ,

   I'm newbies too and I want help.

On 9/14/06, suman adak <gnusuman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Rik and all,
Might be you got this mail two times.Sorry for that
On 9/14/06, Rik van Riel < riel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
suman adak wrote:

> If u r realy interested to hack kernel i think u could first look at
> this link http://www.kernelhacking.org/docs/kernelhacking-HOWTO/
That document has not been updated since 2002.
I guess that means I should beg for volunteers now.

Yes i am ready to work. guide me. I have written one outline for this wiki pages.
I have attached  here...guide me for further modification.. how i will proceed ? or what should i have to do now?

version 1.0
1. Introduction to Linux Kernel( A short Description with various good link about linux kernel)
    1.1  What is kernel Program?
    1.2  What i can do with linux kernel( Some impressive word).
    1.3  Which Programming language?
    1.4  Kernel Books.
   *1.5 add more

2.Getting Source Code From kernel.org
    2.1  Why should i get source code?
    2.2  How to get Source Code?
    2.3  Where i should look to get latest kernel?
   *2.4 Add more

3.Preparing System for Kernel Hacking.
    3.1. GCC,GDB,KGDB patch.
    3.2. Making room for source code.
    3.3. Preparing to test the new kernel( Virtual Machine, UML, Serial port configuration).
   *3.4  add more
4.Compiling and Installing the kernel.
    4.1 Why to recompile the kernel
    4.2 How to make the new kernel version
    4.3 Understanding the kernel version system
    4.4 configure the kernel to be compiled
    4.5 Compile procedure for 2.4 and 2.6 kernel
    4.6 Install the kernel image into your hard disk
    4.7 Boot Loader Configuration( Grub and LILO)
    4.8 Applying the kernel patch
    4.9 Boot the New kernel
   *4.10 Add more

4.11 UML and Qemu (security way to test your kernel)

5. Overview of the Linux kernel source code tree.
    5.1 Small description about each directory.
    5.2 add more
6. Changes between 2.4 kernel to 2.6 kernel( New features).
    * 6.1 Add more
7. debugging kernel code
     *7.1 Add more
8.kernel programming style guidelines
     *8.1 Add more
9.comment and code
     *9.1 Add more
10.talked about kernel API.
      *10.1 Add more
11.overview of the kernel source
    11.1 Kernel Modes
    11.2 Modules
    11.3 Processes
    11.4 how interrupts work
    11.5 Linked List Implementation in kernel(list.h)
    11.4 Synchronisation
    11.5 Inter Process Communication
    11.6 Memory Management, Virtual Memory Management
    11.7 Virtual File system
    11.8 CPU Scheduling
    *11.9 Add More
12. Developing Device Driver
     *12.1 Add more
13. Programming Kernel Module
      *13.1 Add more
14. How to contribute to kernel community?
15. How to get help?
16. How can i help?
*15. add more

* indicates add more
  Ordering and new entry can be done as per suggestion.

I am not a kernel guru.i am also newbies and learning..

Is anybody willing to update the Kernel Hacking HOWTO,
on the kernelnewbies wiki so anybody everybody can help
out and turn it into something more complete and up to
date?

I'm not asking for a lifetime commitment to the cause,
just for some temporary effort.  By leaving it on the
wiki, others can pick up the effort after you...

Please Tell me when it is reviewed finaly. Or what  i have to do now?  i will make changes into wiki according to suggestion.
Thanks
Suman

Francisco Keppler Silva Alecrim
Instituto Nokia de Tecnologia (INdT)
Open Source Mobile Research Center (OSMRC)