RE: Reducing thrashing effect in linux

Its not required on a correctly configured system. You can limit the amount of memory that can be used by users / tasks.

If this is still a problem then you are probably running something on a machine that cannot run the tasks you require it to.

There was a version I did see some time ago that when the scheduler thought the system was thrashing it would pause tasks for a longer period of time to allow the system to recover from a load spike. But it would not work for a system trying to sustain a heavy load.

From: kernelnewbies-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:kernelnewbies-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of atoka wotsa
Sent: 13 September 2006 07:30
To: kernelnewbies@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Reducing thrashing effect in linux

Can we have a Medium term scheduler in linux to reduce thrashing effect, Medium term scheduler will group the processes such that the memory requirement of each group is almost close to the physical memory available and schedule them. the ordinary scheduler will then schedule the processes within the group.

kindly give your comments and suggestions...