Installing modules on remote target system

Hi,

I have an embedded platform and a cross-compile environment on an intel
linux machine. Up to now I have been experimenting with compiling and
I select a module by <*> in menuconfig in order to compile it into the
kernel. I now want to experiment with loading modules separately. Can
someone tell me if I have the procedure right:

Select <m> instead of <*> in menuconfig. I then have to "make modules" to
compile the module. If I was working on the target system I would then
simply "make modules install". However, I cannot "make modules install" with
my cross-compiled modules so I guess that I have to copy mymodule.o onto my
target system and then install it there.

Am I right so far ?

If so, then I just need to know what the procedure is from there i.e. which
directory do I copy mymodule.o into, and what commands (and options) do I
use to install it?

Mark