Using kgdb on a kernel/system whose console=ttyS0

Hello,

I have an applicance running Linux, and it does not
have a monitor / mouse / keyboard.  It communicates
over the serial port (ttyS0).

I am trying to get kgdb over serial running on this
machine. The appliance is running 2.4.31.  I have
successfull put all kgdb patches, even been able to
bring up the kernel.  I have a few questions:

1. Is it possible to get kgdb working on this machine
over ttyS0, since Linux uses it to interface with
outside world.  If not, any pointers how I can get
kgdb working on this box.  (For now, I am not able to
use kgdb over Ethernet).

2. Is it possible to have all the Linux boot up
messages and output appear within gdb (running on
development machine)

I am doing the following steps for now:
1. Use Minicom to connect to appliance, get it botted
up.
2. Halt it (using gdbstart).
3. Disconnect Minicom
4. Start gdb, try to connect to target machine, but
get msg - "Malformed response to offset query".

Thank you,
Aha.