Re: data of skbuff

> BTW, what's the idea behind scatter/gather?
> What do you benefit from keeping the buffer in different places???

AFAIK, it makes zero copy network transmission possible. Normally user space
buffers may be scattered. If for example an ethernet device doesnt support
it, kernel combines them together so as to make a one big chunk. This is
expensive. But if the device and the driver of it supports scatter/gather
I/O, then page table entries are created in the kernel space pointing user
space buffers. Thus you avoid it copying them.

--
Bora SAHIN