Re: platform_device question

On 8/10/06, Drasko Draskovic <drasko.draskovic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My main problem here is writing "adapter" part of the driver, which is to
drive the interface, called ApI2c, that sits on AMBA (actuallu APB part of
AMBA) on one side and on the other on I2C. I am a bit stuck wondering if
this adapter should be declared as amba_device (you can see amba.c in
arch/arm) or described somehow different as platform_device. I do not have
all the code snippets here wich would make question more clear, but I'll
provide these tomorrow with some of my observations and more precise
questions.

Thanks again,
--
Drasko DRASKOVIC

Hi,

AMBA (AHB/APB etc.) is not visible as a bus on your platform from
software point of view. Any amba-connected device effectively appears
on your system as a memory-mapped device. Therefore you must declare
your device as a platform device. (See arch/arm/mach-realview/core.c
for example)

In the kernel amba devices are used only when the device is a
Primecell peripheral developed by ARM. In that case, these devices
have specific device id convention which comes handy when matching
drivers with devices. Apart from that they're no different than other
amba-connected devices.

Thanks,
Bahadir