Re: platform_device question

Drasko Draskovic wrote:
Hi all.
Can somebody tell me what is exactly struct platform_device for. I have to write driver for some device that sits on AMBA bus, and I do not know if I should declare it a n amb_device or plaform_device.

ICBW, but its closest to a generic-bus, similar to pci, etc,
but without support for the features those other busses support.

Its not a 'virtual-class', ie it is directly usable.

Theres also an isa_device patch, on LKML.
Im not quite sure what it does better than platform_device,
but I'd wager that the differences between them would highlight
some reasons to use/not-use platform_device.

FWIW, I used platform_device recently, cuz I wanted a struct device
so I could use  dev_info(&pdev->dev, "msg");
Im not sure thats a 'good' reason to use a platform_device,
but it escaped rejection on LKML :-)

hth
-jimc

Best regards,