Re: ide disk driver

On 8/4/06, Bahadir Balban <bilgehan.balban@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I am new to ide and I need to write a simple driver for a compact
flash interface (which uses ide command set). I need to do this
because the interface is fairly buggy and incomplete, and the linux
ide disk driver available doesn't work with it.

I couldn't figure out where to start. If I use libata functions in
drivers/scsi directory, is that relevant? I thought ata was almost
synonymous with ide, then why do all files in drivers/ide have no
relation to libata?

Also ldd3 explains block device api, but not how requests are
executed. How do I glue a block driver request for execution over the
ide interface?

Many thanks,
Bahadir

The kernel IDE driver subsystem is a real mess from what I understand
and is officially on its way out to be replaced by libata w/pata
support, but that may take a while yet.

Alan Cox used to be the IDE driver maintainer.  Currently the IDE
driver subsystem is unmaintained.

IIRC, Early in 2.6 (really 2.5) they made an effort to replace the
whole IDE subsystem, that failed.

What they did do a few years ago is implement a new libata system
exclusively for SATA controllers/drives.  (That has gotten some major
upgrades recently, so be sure to work with 2.6.18-rcX code if you
decide to work to go that way.)

Further, Alan Cox has recently taken on the job of porting all the
PATA (IDE) drivers to work as part of libata.  He has posted a lot of
his work to the lkml-libata mailinglist in the last couple of months,
but I'm not sure how much of it has made it into 2.6.18-rc3.

Once that gets into mainline, I suspect some distros will start giving
people the choice of which set of IDE drivers the want to use.  The
old IDE subsystem ones, or the new libata subsystem ones.  Then at
some point the old IDE driver subsystem will get dropped from
mainline.

Also, there has been other discussion related to CF (compact flash)
drivers on the lkml-libata mailinglist recently, so go scan their
archives.  I don't remember if the posts related to the old IDE
subsystem or the new libata subsystem.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer