Re: error inserting module.

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 05:55:17PM +0200, Fernando Apesteguía wrote:

> Hi!

Hi Fernando!

> I'm doing some tests with a kernel module. I was compiling and inserting the
> module without problems.
> After an upgrade of part of my system (Anjuta C/C++ IDE and related things
> like gcc etc...) I get this problem when trying to insert my module:
>
> module: version magic '2.6.15.6 preempt PENTIUM4 REGPARM gcc-4.1' should be
> '2.6.15.6 preempt PENTIUM4 REGPARM gcc-4.0'
> insmod: error inserting 'module.ko': -1 invalid module format.
>
> I guess that this is because the module was compiled with a more recent
> version of gcc than the kernel was... am I right?
>
> And now... how can I fix this? Should I recompile my kernel with gcc-4.1?

Why not?

> should I downgrade to gcc-4.0 again?>

You could also install gcc 4.0 parallel to 4.1 and use it for the
kernel, but why not recompile the kernel with gcc 4.1?

> Is there any macro that I can use to avoid this checking?

The check is there for a reason - this module might or might not work
correctly in the kernel.

> Thanks in advance.

cu
Adrian

--

    Gentoo kernels are 42 times more popular than SUSE kernels among
    KLive users  (a service by SUSE contractor Andrea Arcangeli that

       There are three kinds of lies: Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics.
                                                    Benjamin Disraeli