Setting kernel config variables

Hi,

I'm trying to write a linux frame buffer device.  To do this I want to use
some utility functions that are provided, namely cfb_fillrect, cfb_copyarea,
and cfb_imageblit.  These functions are compiled and linked based on the
setting of the config variables: FB_CFB_FILLRECT, FB_CFB_COPYAREA and
FB_CFBIMAGEBLIT.

The problem is that I can't find how to set these variables except by
selecting some other driver that depends on those config variables, like
vfb, the virtual frame buffer, and I don't want any of those other drivers.

I've tried editing the .config file by hand, setting those variables to y,
but the build process doesn't seem to like that, helpfully commenting them
out when I run make.

Can anybody give me a pointer to what I should be doing?

Richard Wolf