Re: IP pkt forwarding question.

On 7/31/06, Ming Chen <tomingchen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

My linux box connects to router directly through a direct connected FE
interface. The Linux default gateway points to the ip address on the router.
My application needs to return all ip traffic that not destined to my linux
box back to router.
For example:

Linux Box <---------> Router
10.1.1.10                10.1.1.1
default gw: 10.1.1.1
When 77.1.1.1 packet arrives to Linux box, the linux need to return the
packet back to router.

Hi,

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong but, AFAIK:

1) Your box should not see any packet that is not destined for its
network (10.1.1.x?). Even if a packet is destined for your network,
the box should not see it untill & unless your NIC is configured to be
in the promiscous mode. If the above does not hold true, I think there
is a problem.

2) Your Linux Box is not functioning as a router, so it won't forward
any packet NOT sourced from itself to the gateway. Any packet if not
addressed to it shall be discarded.

3) As your box & the router are on the same network; if your box is
seeing a packet, then your router is surely seeing it (since packets
are broadcasted on a LAN).

Regards,

Rajat