Re: Linux Source Code Exploration - Help

On 7/29/06, Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[please don't top-post]

On 27/07/06, Hari Prashanth <hari.prashanth@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Jesper,
>
>         I got your points. Please tell me from which source i should start
> exploring?

That would depend on what you are interrested in.

> On boot time, which part of the source code actually
> gets executed?

arch/i386/boot/setup.S is one of the first very first bits.
but, the boot code is usually not that interresting, it doesn't change
much, is written in asm, not C, and the job it does is actually pretty
boring. Stuff like the scheduler, memory management, network code,
driver core etc is usually more interresting to look at.

> Please give these information for me to start.
>
>         I am quite comfortable with the applications in linux. But now i wanted
> to study the implementation mainly. If i can start from the source i can
> closely follow up with the rest of the things.
>
>         I will try to contribute as much as i can to the community and linux.

Sounds good :-)

If you're new to design of operating systems, probably it'd be better
to start with something simple like minix. The book "Operating Systems
Design and Implementation" by AST/ASW would be a nice place to start.

Thank You,

Jinesh.