Re: page locking from application

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006, Parav Pandit wrote:

> mlock() is the solution. I was actually trying to understand the mlock
> system call implementation to find out how the pages are locked in the
> RAM so that they are not pagged out. But I could not find any such thing
> in code walk through of sys_mlock().
> Question:
> Page locking is handled in software or in MMU?
> I don't find any bit in the PTE (Page table entry) for
> page saying it to be locked.

It is handled in software. Each VMA region has a flag VM_LOCKED, which
indicates whether the given VMA is locked into memory or not (this flag is
set for corresponding VMA in the mm/mlock.c:do_mlock()). This flag is then
taken into account by swapper code, which doesn't consider the pages with
VM_LOCKED flag for swapout - see mm/rmap.c:try_to_unmap_one(), which
contains the corresponding test on the VMA).

--
JiKos.