Re: Help regarding initrd

Hi,
     Thank you for the link and description. I got a clear picture about initrd. But while I have mounted an initrd file and tries to change to another file system I am getting a "permission denied" warning. What will be the possible error.

Regards,
Morphy.

On 7/20/06, Mohapatra, Hemant <Hemant.Mohapatra@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>  bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Morphy Zhores
>  Subject: Help regarding initrd

>  Basically what will be inside a initrd compressed file and how it is
>  made. It is heard that kernel can be booted without initrd and what
is
>  the necessity in using such a file. After loading the kernel is it

Initrd is primarily used to reduce the size of the kernel image by
avoiding the need to have all  drivers  necessary for booting compiled
as inbuilt modules. It includes some driver modules that are needed to
access some hardware and finally mount the real root-FS. If you wish to
do away with initrd, just compile the kernel with in-built support for
whatever Filesystem you have (reiserfs, ext2/3, etc) and in the boot
menu, provide the root=/dev/<insert your harddrive node here> to let the
kernel know the location of the root filesystem.

This link should help you better understand the boot process:

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-linuxboot/

In my opinion, this should work for normal SCSI/IDE drives (works for me
on a Suse10.0 on IDE) but I cannot be sure if you are booting via a SAN
or some such.

./h