Re: Ring 0 Protection ?

On 7/6/06, George Zhim <georgezhim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
HI all,

When a processor is in ring 0 (privilidged mode in x86),
what can the program now do that it couldn't before ?

which accesses are blocked by the processor if it is in ring 3 ?
(I know that every interrupt has a minimum cpu priviledge needed,
but I hardly assume programs are so "eager" to call interrupts, are they ?
what other things aren't allowed ?)

in ring 0, processor can load IDT, GDT and CR3 registers, which can
chage the view of environment processor is working in. These are
specific and important registers which should not be altered by any
process. Only in ring 0 mode these these loading instructions are
allowed. Moreover getting an entry through some gates in IDT is also
restriceded in ring 3 (in case of Linux).

Gaurav

where can we see relevant code in the kernel ?

thanks
George

Gaurav
Email: gauravd.chd@xxxxxxxxx
Read my articles at: http://lkdp.blogspot.com
Easy to get air tickets at affordable price,
US to India Air Tickets: www.Ritz-Travel.com
Call at 001-503-848-2299 or mail at info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx