Kernel module Makefile & a quick howto..

Hi All.

First some background:
I'm working on a little project where I have taken the scsi_debug kernel module, hacked it (lots) so as it now appears as a Virtual Tape Library (+ user daemons to handle the SSC/SMC target portion).
The user-space daemons I've managed to package up within an RPM without too much trouble.

My problem is:
Is there any easy way to automate the kernel module build process for any 2.6.x kernel this may be installed on ?

On SLES 9, there is a 'make cloneconfig' which does a really nice job of taking the currently running kernel config and applying to the kernel source. A make modules will then create a kernel module that will install into the current kernel.

RedHat AS4 is a different kettle of fish.
I've yet been able to build just the kernel module and have it install into the current kernel i.e. a RedHat shipped kernel. Even though I've installed the kernel-source rpm for the current kernel.

I am hoping there are sample / examples of a recommended way to handle this. I really can't see my hacks getting into the kernel proper, so I'm hoping for a (some) external build process to ease the process for non-linux savvy people.

Cheers
Mark Harvey