NIC failing to transmit

Hi all,

I have a rather slippery problem, that took me quite some time to find the cause of.

I have three NICs on my machine. After boot two of them (on board NICs) work well as expected.

The third one (PCI NIC) works well for a few seconds, but then it stops transmitting. that is, I can read packets from it, but not transmit.

I disabled iptables and selinux (thinking some security policy is blocking the output), but in vain.

dmesg shows:
NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth2: transmit timed out
eth2: Tx timed out (0000), is buffer full?
NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth2: transmit timed out
eth2: Tx timed out (0000), is buffer full?

I doubt it is a network problem, as the NIC does transmit normally forthe first few seconds. After that, something enters some catatonic state and nothing is transmitted anymore.

my machine runs standard FC5, and the NIC is " D-Link DGE-550SX Gigabit Ethernet Adapter"

I've read references to similar problems.All concluded the problem to be a bug in drivers that I don't use.
(http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-102344.html)

Can anyone help here please.
Any pointers, ideas to further pin-point the problem would be appreciated