Re: what is MSI ? (apparently related to SMP and interrupts)

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 12:52:03PM -0600, Jim Cromie wrote:

> its been mentioned repeatedly on LKML,
> where they all know, and dont need it spelled out.
>
> Assuming I understand the answer, Ill add it to glossary.

Message Signaled Interrupts.  It's a mode of PCI that turns "interrupts"
into a virtual thing that is delivered to the driver and is not assigned
to a physical pin in the processor.

It allows drivers to request lots of them, for different things on their
devices, so there is not a single large interrupt handler.

I'm sure there's a better description of it on Wikipedia somewhere...

Ah yeah:
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message_Signaled_Interrupts

Hope this helps,

greg k-h